Over the holidays, perhaps you realized that Mom isn’t as independent as she used to be.
A few years ago, it was easy for her to cook the holiday meal.
But now she has trouble even making her lunch or keeping the house clean.
Once you were home, you might have begun a search for senior care, confident you could find an affordable assisted living option for your mom…
Until you started visiting different communities.
It can be shocking to discover that standard assisted living costs can easily creep into the $4,000 to $5,000 range—an expense that’s far outside your parent’s budget, leaving you with several no-win alternatives:
- Hire an aid to visit your mom a few times a week—even though your parent needs full-time assistance.
- Lower your assisted living standards to find a community that fits your loved one’s budget.
- Deplete your own retirement savings in order to fund Mom’s expenses.
If this sounds like your situation, keep on reading.
In this article, we’re going to introduce you to affordable assisted living and show how it can provide the solution you need to care for your parent.
What Is Affordable Assisted Living?
To begin with, high-quality affordable assisted living is not the same as the Congregate Housing Services Program or other government-sponsored, low-income housing options.
When we say affordable assisted living, we mean providing excellent care at a rate that meets the financial needs of seniors with limited resources.
Who Is Affordable Assisted Living Designed For?
There are a number of ways to determine if this senior care option is suited for your parent. To see if affordable assisted living can support your loved one, consider if…
- Your parent once had a solid income, but the increased cost of living has depleted his or her financial resources.
- Your parent’s monthly income isn’t enough to cover normal assisted living costs…and assets will last only a couple of years.
- Your parent worries about his or her financial future and wonders if there will be enough retirement savings in the years to come.
- Your parent is frugal and values high-quality services for an affordable price.
- Your parent is eligible for help through the Assisted Living Waiver Medicaid Program.
- Your parent served in the U.S. military or is eligible through a spouse for veteran’s benefits.
- Your parent has long-term care insurance.
If any of these descriptions fit your parent’s situation, affordable assisted living can help your loved one enjoy a brighter financial future and the needed care to avoid a premature nursing home move.
What’s the Difference between Standard and Affordable Assisted Living?
At this point, you may be thinking…
Assisted living seems like a great choice for my parent. But what’s the difference between this option and standard assisted living?
That’s a good question.
To help you gain clarity, we’ll briefly cover how these two options are both similar—and different. Here’s what isn’t different about affordable assisted living…
Your parent will still receive the same care.
Like other assisted living communities, this more affordable option will still provide Mom with the same support she would receive at another community. From regular housekeeping to assistance with bathing or dressing, your parent will gain comprehensive support.
Your parent will experience a beautifully furnished and comfortable living environment.
Affordable assisted living doesn’t mean Mom has to settle for sharing her apartment or living in a dilapidated community. You parent can enjoy beautiful furnishings, inviting gathering areas, quality amenities, and a cozy apartment—with no compromises.
While both standard assisted living and affordable assisted living have several similarities, they are quite different when it comes to one important factor—price.
Affordable assisted living empowers your parent to…
- Pay a monthly rate he or she can afford.
- Prolong his or her retirement resources.
- Apply for Medicaid assistance or veteran’s benefits.
- Lessen financial worries.
If you’re ready to experience the benefits of affordable assisted living, be sure to visit The Ashford. We’ve created communities with your loved one’s needs in mind, providing high-quality care at a reasonable price.
To experience for yourself our beautiful and affordable assisted living communities, schedule your visit today.